[Sca-cooks] What do you think? OT

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Dec 5 07:36:40 PST 2002

At 06:39 AM 12/5/02 -0700, you wrote:
>I like the name. I picked mine because I liked it and it was easy to
>document and fit the time period with the garb I was most comfortable with.
>Most of my friends away from work and my kids friends now know me as Cecily
>even when we're not SCAing.

Can devolve from there- I didn't start as 'Lainie, my name is Elaine. But
everyone calls me 'Lainie. 'Cept my kids and my sweetheart.

>Meanwhile, if you change your name in SCA, the
>best results I have seen were when the person intensely uses there new name,
>insists that everything be in the new name and abandons the old, or you end
>up with two or more names: you know, Randy, yeah Randall Cook that used to
>be Avraham, you know Doctor Randy...

That is a problem. Here in 3m we have Ataius who used to be Andvari, who
used to be something else and before that was Lazar von Somethingorother.
And that isn't even accounting for his mundane name...

Sometimes people aren't interested in letting you change your name. My
sweetheart changed his name some time ago, and there are still people who
refuse to use Edouard and call him Seumas. Even though with his hair short
and the beard gone he looks much more like Edouard, in my view...

I would suggest... change it now before it's set in stone. Make a concerted
effort at the persona thing- that helps more than you'd think.

'Lainie