[Sca-cooks] Food Network and Master A's nightmare

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Dec 5 14:07:05 PST 2002

Also sprach Daniel Myers:

>You are correct that there is no direct evidence for short pastes in
>that recipe - I had mistakenly assumed such because of the instructions
>there to partially pre-bake the crust before adding the filling.  TFCCB
>was of course written very early on in the 15th century when the lines
>between "tart", "pie" and "custard" were much more vague.

True.

>As for the absence of instructions to making "a coffin in a trap" or
>such, I think that little can be inferred.

I agree. Absence of evidence is absence of evidence. Therefore... ;-)

>   These recipes rarely
>mention quantities at all and occasionally leave out ingredients
>altogether.

Of course! I'm not trying to say what we know, 'cause that is
precious little. I was just pointing out what we don't really know.

>On the other hand, this may be a "transitional" recipe.  The custard
>like filling with enough fat in the meat and broth may soften up a thin
>non-shortened pie crust.  I'll see if I can find time to experiment
>with it this weekend.
>
>Much thanks for the correction.

I hate correcting people; I'm usually wrong. I like to ask annoying
questions, though, and then let others do the work!

Adamantius