Broom was Re: [Sca-cooks] OOP: Praline recipes from La Varenne, part 2

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Dec 5 23:46:33 PST 2002

At 03:29 PM 12/5/02 -0600, you wrote:
>Can you provide me the genus and species of "American Broom?"  To my
>knowledge all of the "brooms" in the U.S. are European imports and most, if
>not all, produce cytisine or ulexine which acts as a diuretic and in
>quantity affects the heart in a manner similar to digitalis.
>
>Bear

I'd be interested in this also- here on the Upper Left Coast there's a
'Scotch Broom' planted all over in the freeway medians, etc. Rather pretty,
but it is one of my biggest allergens in the spring and early summer.
Rather sad, for a supporter of the House of Plantagenet, to be allergic to
broom...

'Lainie