[Sca-cooks] another game meat question

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Fri Dec 6 11:02:49 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pixel, Goddess and Queen" <pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com>
> Ok, I'm making final plans for meat aquisition for Twelfth Night, and
> have a question of those who have more experience with the
four-footed
> game meats than I do.
>
> My options for roasts (rather than steaks) are sirloin, chuck, rump,
and
> shoulder, or I could get legs. What is probably going to happen is
that
> the meat will be roasted in advance, sliced, frozen, then reheated
> on-site. Not the optimal situation, but we have limited options (ie,
we
> can't use their ovens).

I must confess i did not see a question, but if it was supposed to be
about what cut to choose, my suggestions would depend on what method of
cooking you have ready and simple access to.

Chuck and Shoulder are best cooked using moist heat, low and slow, for
a goodly time - braising or <gak> boiling.  Sirloin and rump are leaner,
and less connective tissue (if at all), which demands dry heat like
grilling, roasting or pan roasting.  Depending on the beast, the leg
should probably be dry heated like roasting.  Leg and shank could also
lend itself to moist heat, if desired - mmmmm, venison osso bucco.  Be
caustious with cooking wild ungulates like Venison, Elk, Bison, etc. as
they may need larding/added fat due to very lean meat.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco