[Sca-cooks] Vigils, was ARRRRGH!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Dec 6 19:47:39 PST 2002

At 08:11 PM 12/6/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Doesn't seem to here in Artemisia....the effect of the initial
>wow/suprise is still there, when the Crown calls up the individual and
>asks them "the question."  The inductee then has time to make an outfit,
>if they want, and organize things and a vigil and what-not to suit.
>Often folks will personalize the ceremony, too...it's pretty common, for
>instance, to have a member of each peerage speak on your behalf/PLQs
>(peer-like qualities), etc.
>I was laureled mumblety-years ago when we were still part of Atenveldt,
>when drive-by peerages were the rule rather than the exception, and I
>*much* would have preferred to know in advance.  It was a camping event,
>and court was held at night, with very poor lighting, and no one took
>pictures, and there was no vigil, etc.....
>Which is not to say that I didn't feel honored and all.  Sure I did! But
>being able to plan it at least a little in advance would have made it
>more....festive, I guess.
>Maire

Uh, what she said...

I think part of it is a desire to make the occasion what it means to you,
be it boisterous rejoicing, full of gravitas and deep symbolism, or
something in between. I've seen vigils that were like graduation parties,
complete with too much booze. And I was also honored to sit cross-legged
next tot a young man about to be knighted, and to quietly discuss with him
what the belt and spurs meant to him, and what he felt his new
responsibilities would be, to himslef as well as to others. He stayed up
all night, seeing only one or two at a time. Int eh morning he was grey
with fatigue, but his face... was transcendent...

Reading accounts of knighting vigils and of the ceremonies gives me only a
little glimpse into what a young man must have thought as he knelt all
night ont eh cold flagstones of the chapel floor. But watching Rustam walk
into court that morning, I saw much more, because I was seeing it first
hand. And learning by _doing_... isn't that what we are all about?

I want warning, and I want a vigil. And I want new clothes!

'Lainie
-who will be her Cousin Robert (short for 'Bob') tomorrow... whee!