[Sca-cooks] Re: Heirloom gadgets (Was:Cookies)

Diamond Randall ringofkings at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 8 09:08:32 PST 2002

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

>  I can work a cookie scoop
> > left-handed, I can't work a
> > spritz bag. Go figure.
> > Margaret
>
> Have you ever tried a spritz "gun"?  It is fairly
> new.  Here is a picture of one:
>
> http://www.kitchencollection.com/tempproducts.cfm?sku=00215243[1]
>
> It is quite easy to use and requires a lot less
> pressure or control.

Margaret, you are advising Granny on methods of sucking an egg.  New???
I have been making spritz cookies with an identical gun for the past FIFTY
YEARS!!!  Same pattern plates too.  And it was used by my mom for at least
a decade before that (if not longer).  What planets have some of you cooks
been living on?  I even have two of them.  They ARE quite easy to use and
about idiot proof.  As to liquidity of the dough, you have to REFRIGERATE
it (and it already is pretty stiff) to keep from getting a blob instead of a
desired shape.
Ahh the fond memories of getting the green jadite swirl mixing bowl of batter
leavings
as a young child!  Still have a full set of jadite I use that mom mixed the
spritz dough in
on an old GE mixer (wish I had that too!).
(chuckling) Babes, mere babes in the woods.
Perhaps some of our older cooks should share info on long proven worth of
absolutely
essential gadgets like spritz guns, krumkaka irons, jadite bowls and 1930 era
mechanical
orange juicers.  The digital kitchen crap they put out these days is only
worth stocking my
garage sale table IMO!  The best source for obtaining these great old kitchen
goodies
incidentally is EBAY.

Akim

--- Diamond Randall