[Sca-cooks] Chicken broth

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Sun Dec 8 09:55:31 PST 2002

>The rest is as Kristianne describes, except I let the spices float
>around in the broth.  I strain the stock through a colander, then
>through a sieve. If I want really clear broth, I pour some through a
>coffee filter.  Don't do that often, just for extra-special occasions.

I also let the scum reside on the broth as I make it.  If you control your
simmering, to have the stuff at the surface actually helps clarify the
broth some, as it provides a "something" for rising impurities to adhere
to.  Of course if you aren't controlling your heat, and it's boiling amock,
then that defeats the purpose.

You would do consome using that principle, but using ground meat and egg
whites and other aromatic elements to the mix.

I don't bother with sieve and especially not coffee filters.  Again, if
you've controlled your heat and removed the stock outof the pot carefully,
you dont' need to strain like that, as impurities should be mostly
out.  Plus if you let it sit over night, it's going to drop to the bottom
and float at the surface.

I really like to use legs and joints in my stocks and broth, gives flavour
and nice texture to it too.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forth Castle, Meridies