[Sca-cooks] Chicken broth

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Dec 8 10:49:05 PST 2002

Also sprach Gorgeous Muiredach:
>I don't bother with sieve and especially not coffee filters.  Again, if
>you've controlled your heat and removed the stock outof the pot carefully,
>you dont' need to strain like that, as impurities should be mostly
>out.  Plus if you let it sit over night, it's going to drop to the bottom
>and float at the surface.

What he said. Another useful trick (I find; YMMV) is to simmer your
liquid, once it has begun to boil and actually turn into stock,
rather than just water with stuff in it, with the pot slightly
off-center on the burner. What you then end up with is a hot spot
which, instead of simmering and sending concentric ripples out from
the center of the surface, sends waves off from one edge to the
other. In practice, this creates a wad of surface gunk and fat which
collects all together on one edge of the pot, making skimming and
removal of said gunk a lot easier.

Absolute death (the official cause of death of my mother-in-law's
soups) results from boiling the stock after the initial boil, but
before removing the solids (or the stock therefrom, more accurately),
which is how you can get that greasy, thick, white dishwatery stuff,
in which various fats and particulates which are supposed to either
settle out or float on the surface, become mixed and emulsified into
your liquid. Now, you can boil your stock down to a glaze if you want
to, but not before skimming, straining and/or otherwise removing it
from the stuff you don't want mixed in.

Adamantius