[Sca-cooks] Chicken broth

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Dec 8 11:02:34 PST 2002

I always need to filter mine, but then what I do to make chicken broth
is save the bones (from boning breasts) and odd bits (wings and such),
in ziploc baggies in the freezer.  I also keep a bag of carrot-ends,
peelings, too-limp-to-eat-but-still-edible celery, etc. in the freezer.
When the bags are full, I throw them all in my stockpot with water to
cover, and simmer till done.  Fish out the major chunkage (there may or
may not be chicken worth picking off the bones), and maybe simmer some
more (depends on how much time I have).  Pour it through a fine-meshed
sieve to get the little floaty bits.   Let it cool overnight to solidfy
the fat so I can remove it (in the winter, I've been known to set it out
on my front porch, appropriately covered, of course.  in summer, it goes
in the fridge.)  I then put it into containers and freeze it, unless I'm
using it immediately.
I like the additional flavor and color and such that the veggies add.  I
do not tend to add herbs/spices at the broth stage, because I'm after a
"generic" broth I can use for different recipes.
Muiredach, I'll have to try your recommendation for leaving the
scum....I've always skimmed it off because that's what I was taught.
Nothing like learning something new, huh?
--Maire, thinking chicken-and-dumplings is sounding good....hmmmm.....