[Sca-cooks] Chicken broth

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Dec 8 10:57:10 PST 2002

Also sprach Robin Carroll-Mann:
>Is there an economical way to make large quantities of chicken
>broth without resorting to cubes and concentrates?  Can cheap
>chicken parts like backs and wings be used for this purpose?

In short, yes. Your best bet might be to explain to your butcher (or
the supermarket functionary who does this job) what you need, and
explain that you need to find the most economic way to accomplish
this.

Standard industrial proportions call for approximately one pound
meaty bones (such as backs, necks, wingtips, etc.) per quart of
finished stock. My butcher (the good one, the one I go to for the
hard jobs) sells 5-lb. bags of backs and necks for very little. He
used to give them away for free, but if you need them in quantity,
some small fee might be needed just to be sure he has them when you
need them, which is why I order them and there is an associated fee.
What, maybe 39 cents a pound or something?

Adamantius