[Sca-cooks] Copper bowl question

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Sun Dec 8 13:39:05 PST 2002

>>That's why copper pots are usualy lined with stainless steel (now), or
>>pewter (used to).
>
>Pewter? You sure? I have one lined with either tin or nickel... It
>seems unikely to me use a metal as soft as pewter, not to mention its
>[usual] lead content.

Actually Master A, yeah, I'm sure on this one :-)  I double checked I
wasn't snafu'ing the translation, but yep it is pewter.

In French, copper pots are "étammés", which means covered with a layer of
"étain", which translate to pewter.

Checking the Larousse Gastronomique (which does have *some* uses,
especially in classical French cooking), they do talk about the process of
layering étain on the copper pot.

As I said, pewter used to be used, doubt it's used much at all anymore.

FWIW.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forth Castle, Meridies