[Sca-cooks] A Guild Question... and ancient history

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Dec 8 19:50:52 PST 2002

Also sprach Carol Eskesen Smith:
>There's been some talk in Ostgardr of a "Cooks Advisory Group" that
>is more of "the Pros from Dover" than a true guild.  Sort of a "Have
>knives, will travel".

Yes. Essentially, cooks-errant. The Cooks of the Round Table, if you
will. What we'd be doing, in part, would be travelling around,
helping when and as needed (which we do anyway), but along the way
doing a little proselytizing on the subject of period cookery,
helping first-time cooks organize, that sort of thing. Again, the
sort of thing we often do anyway.

>   Our Kingdom is so very large...  A Kingdom-level Cooks' Guild
>would have a great deal of difficulty meeting anywhere except on the
>Web...)

Yuss. While I love the idea of 10 or 15 people getting together on a
Sunday afternoon and just cooking (Hey, Cariadoc, you busy next
Sunday?), I can see some difficulty with trying this on the scale a
kingdom-wide guild would represent. I think it would be better to do
this on the same kind of scale as had been done previously, only in
several locations (possibly simultaneously), then share results in an
organized manner, possibly by keeping a central library of "lab
notebooks".

Another possibility would be to loosely confederate the local cook's
guilds, sharing results as above, via an archivist, a website,
possibly a journal, etc. Or combine both plans.

Adamantius