[Sca-cooks] Chicken broth

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Dec 9 03:24:57 PST 2002

Also sprach Robin Carroll-Mann:
>On 8 Dec 2002, at 13:57, Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamant wrote:
>
>>  Standard industrial proportions call for approximately one pound
>>  meaty bones (such as backs, necks, wingtips, etc.) per quart of
>>  finished stock. My butcher (the good one, the one I go to for the
>>  hard jobs) sells 5-lb. bags of backs and necks for very little. He
>>  used to give them away for free, but if you need them in quantity,
>>  some small fee might be needed just to be sure he has them when you
>>  need them, which is why I order them and there is an associated fee.
>>  What, maybe 39 cents a pound or something?
>
>Hmmmm..... my local supermarket has leg quarters for 39 cents/lb
>right now.  How much meaty parts per quart of stock does one
>need?

It works out to about the same. Collagen is collagen. Normally bones
are used because it's cheaper to use a by-product that you wouldn't
be eating, but you can use meaty arts as long as there's some bone.
If you use only meat, you end up with bouillon, which is tasty but
has less gelatin component that fond, or stock. The mouth feel is
different.

Also, were I you, I would avoid the temptation to use less weight of
chicken because of the price, and probably you should avoid trying to
use the meat afterwards. After the requisite 4-6 hours of simmering,
most of the virtue of the chicken meat is already in your stock.

I guess I'm trying to say it doesn't make much difference, and you
still need one pound per quart. Which, if you can get them cheaper,
is an argument in favor of backs and necks.

Adamantius