[Sca-cooks] Chicken broth

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Dec 9 03:30:44 PST 2002

Also sprach Robin Carroll-Mann:
>I didn't mention it, but I actually need the broth for a sauce, so
>brown would not be a problem.  Once the quince paste goes in, a
>little more coloration won't be noticeable.

Hmmm. If someone were to hand you several gallons of brown chicken
stock, that would be one thing, but if it's as you describe, there
probably isn't much benefit to going to the trouble of browning the
bones. Once you get chicken bones brown enough, it's easy to burn
them; it takes up time, and in some cases can reduce the gelatin
component.

Many perfectly good sauces are made with "white" stock, too.

I guess, to me, this would be like making puff pastry just to seal
the edges of a pot, to hold in the steam, when flour-and-water paste
would do just as well.

Adamantius