[Sca-cooks] Copper bowl question

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Dec 9 05:24:14 PST 2002

Also sprach A F Murphy:
>This reminds me. I inherited a copper saucepan lined with tin, and I'm
>not sure what to use it for. I know the point is that copper conducts
>heat well... and? It's pretty, but my mom didn't buy kitchen equipment
>just to be pretty... though I don't really remember her using it much!

Tin is relatively non-reactive, whereas things like sauces with wine
in them will react with a copper surface and create
unpleasant-tasting, and possibly toxic, compounds. Which is why you
don't make something like bearnaise sauce (which usually involves a
vinegar reduction) in one of those beautiful copper zabaglione pans.
Yeah, okay, zabaglione contains wine, but who said we wanted logic
here?

Adamantius