[Sca-cooks] Darkover [OT]

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 9 12:20:53 PST 2002

Kirsten Houseknecht wrote:

> Darkover isnt a series, and doesnt move... it is based in Maryland.

The convention is named after the book series by Marion Zimmer Bradley, so
really, it's both.  I want to go to the convention some time;  the planet
sounds a tad chilly and not so friendly to uppity Terran women like me.

> our Con Chair flies out from her home in Finland (yes, Finland) every year
> ........ she moved to Finland but still travels out to the USA to do stuff,
> including run the convention.

She's an American living in Finland, known in the SCA as Mistress Jaelle of
Armida, former Laurel Queen of Arms.  That name is straight out of the Darkover
books.  Many older SCA members change their names as they "mature" in the
organization to something more period [guilty as charged!] but Jaelle keeps
hers because she can!  She's a fun lady, we bonded during the disaster-plagued
Heraldic Symposium in Trimaris.

Selene Colfox