[Sca-cooks] Onion soup (was Chicken broth)

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Dec 9 19:04:15 PST 2002

Also sprach Gorgeous Muiredach:
>>As for confusion over French onion soup, I think GM is simply
>>thinking --rightly-- of the kind of onion soup you get in France
>>(where there is no need to explain that it is "French" onion soup;
>>it's simply onion soup), made generally from a white beef consomme,
>>and often topped with a crouton on which a cheese like
>>Parmigiano-Reggiano or Gruyere has been melted/gratineed.
>
>Ya...  What he said ;-)
>
>I have good memories of going out dancing till the wee hours then going out
>to a bistro, and grabbing "Une gratinée et un p’tit blanc", basically,
>onion soup and a glass of cheap white wine...  THen go home as the sun
>rises...  :-)

In P.G. Wodehouse's 1938 novel, "Uncle Fred In The Springtime", there
is a character (one of several male, semi-romantic-lead-types) who
wishes to borrow enough money to open an onion-soup-bar (so he can
earn enough cash to marry), the implication being that this concept
was known as part of the urban night life of late 1930's London.
Obviously you're in good company!

Adamantius