[Sca-cooks] Fw: Fw: [EK] Russian mushrooms

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Dec 10 07:39:36 PST 2002

Also sprach Phlip:
>The question of ussian mushrooms came up on the EK List, so I did the fair
>thing and asked a Russian friend about them. He's very interested in SCA,
>and has a very strong historical bent, so when I ask him a question, he
>tends to give answers that I can use to expand my historical knowledge.

BTW: for non-foodies out there, for whom the genus boletus and the
tubes-versus-gills question may be a bit more esoteric than they'd
like to deal with, a common edible bolutus mushroom eaten all over
Europe is boletus edulis, also known as the porcini, cep, steinpilze,
etc., depending on where in Europe you are. I wasn't sure if they
appear in Russian cookery, but they definitely do appear in Polish
and German cookery, so it seems reasonable, in theory.

Adamantius