Quince sauce (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Chicken broth)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 10 08:33:38 PST 2002

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 06:25:09 -0700 Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com> wrote:

> What's it got in it, besides chicken and broth
> and quinces? (and
> sometimes onion and bacon fat?)
> It sounds really intriguing......
> --Maire (now I'm hungry....thanks, guys!)

Here it is:
21.	POTTAGE OF MARINATED HEN WHICH IS CALLED JANETE OF HENS
	POTAJE DE ADOBADO DE GALLINA QUE SE DICE JANETE DE GALLINAS

Take a hen which is more than half-cooked and cut it up as if to make
portions; and take good bacon which is fatty, and gently fry it with a little
bit of onion.  And then gently fry the cut-up hen with it.  And take toasted
almonds, and grind
them, and mix with them quinces or pears which have been conserved in honey;
and take the livers of the hens, and roast them on the coals.  And when they
are well-roasted put them in the mortar of the almonds, and grind everything
together; and then take a crustless piece of bread toasted and soaked in white
vinegar, grind it in the mortar with the other stuff.  And when it is
well-ground, blend it with hen's broth that is well-salted; and strain it all
through a sieve;
and cast it in a pot; and cast the hen in also; and cast in all fine spices,
and a good quantity of sugar.  And this sauce must be a little bit sour.  And
when the sauce is cooked, cast in a little finely shredded parsley, and
prepare your dishes, and then [cast] upon them sugar and cinnamon.

I think I may reinstate the onions.  No other meat dish on the menu has
onions, though two vegetable dishes do.

Brighid