[Sca-cooks] Alows of Beef or Mutton

Jeff Gedney Gedney1 at iconn.net
Tue Dec 10 13:21:14 PST 2002

I think...

>    1. Quyschons?

Is this the "Chines" of the beef? or more specifically the long muscles running
along the backbone? the tenderloin? I think from the recipe, this is so.

>    2. swette?
I think rather that this is Suet, not butter.

>    3. er-on?

and pore + er-on Vynegre and a lityl verious

"pour Thereon some vinegar and a little verjuice"

I think that this is a problem with the text interpretation of the original.
the + shold actually be considered a "thorn", a letter that used to exist in the
english alphabet that was replaced by the "TH"

wherever you see "+ " in the original you should replace it with "th", so the
original should look like this:

"Take fayre Bef of the quyschons, and motoun of the bottes, and kytte in the
maner of Stekys; than take raw Percely, and Oynonys smal y-scredde, and yolkys
of Eyroun sothe hard, and Marow or swette, and hew alle thes to-geder smal; than
caste ther-on poudere of Gyngere and Saffroun, and tolle hem to-gederys with
thin hond, and lay hem on the Stekys al a-brode, and caste Salt ther-to; then
rolle to-gederys, and putte hem on a round spete, and roste hem til they ben
y-now; than lay hem in a dysshe, and pore ther-on Vynegre and a lityl verious,
and pouder Pepir ther-on y-now, and Gyngere, and Canelle, and a fewe yolkys of
hard Eyroun y-kremyd ther-on; and serue forth."

"Fixing" the english up a little, I get:

Take fair Beef of the "quyschons", and mutton of the butt, and cut in the maner
of Steaks; than take raw parsely, and onions shredded small, and yolks of eggs
boiled hard, and Marrow or suet, and chop all these together small (fine dice);
then cast thereon powder of Ginger and Saffron, and mix them together with thine
hand, and lay them on the Steaks all over (spread on the cutlets), and cast Salt
thereto; then roll together, and putte them on a round spit, and roast them till
they are enough (cook till done); then lay them in a dish, and pour thereon
Vinegar and a little verjuice (a bitter juice, usually made from pressing unripe
grapes or crabapples), and (put) powdered Pepir thereon enough (until there is
enough pepper on it... ), and Ginger, and Cinnamon, and a few yolks of hard eggs
creamed (mashed) thereon; and serve (it) forth."

Hope that cleard things up.

Brandu

Going back to school is like riding a bike ...

After fumbling with the pedals, getting saddle
sores from a too-small seat, and struggling
uphill, you realize why you got a car in the
first place.