[Sca-cooks] Beef/chicken stock; white vs.. brown

Liadan Liadan at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 11 07:44:38 PST 2002

Since we're getting this straight.  Could someone please list the
definitions and differences between stock, consommé, broth, etc.,
please? Maybe list recipes/techniques for each?

Recipes I've used have "stock" in the title and include vegetables among
the ingredients.

What do you call it if you simmer it down to a syrup? (after taking out
the solids)

I use beef shank bones or marrow bones when I can find them in the meat
section. They're usually cheap $.29 or $.39 per pound. They're sometimes
called "dog bones." But they are the bone in a round steak, only longer
2" to 4". I bake them in the oven at 300 to 350 degrees until they are
nicely browned and smell good.  Then I put them into a stockpot with
onions, celery, fresh parsley and carrots.  I sometimes add garlic, a
bay leaf or two, and several whole peppercorns. No salt or
broccoli/cauliflower family vegetables. I bring it to a simmer over
medium heat and let it simmer for several hours or overnight.  I pour
the results through a colander to remove the solids and refrigerate
until I can remove the fat layer.  Then I reheat and cook down further,
or put into freezer containers and freeze.

Note: Do caution your partner (if not a cook) that the mess is not
eatable, and to not turn the fire off. My sweetie tries to be helpful,
and it's appreciated, except when I had to toss a full 3 or 4 gallons of
beef stock because he turned the fire off while I was sleeping and it
was room temp when I checked it.  Not knowing when he turned it off, I
threw it out rather than chance problems. I used beef shanks one time
(really too expensive for stock), and he pitched a small batch, because
he tried to eat the meat. Of course, it was tasteless by the time he
dipped into the pan, so he figured it was "spoiled."

Please share how you make vegetarian stock, broth or whatever we're
calling it. Many thanks!

Liadan