[Sca-cooks] gas vs. electric ovens and ranges

Liadan Liadan at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 11 07:53:02 PST 2002

Stefan,

I've cooked on both. I currently have an electric range in my apartment.
I much prefer gas to electric range tops. I'm not as picky about ovens,
as I usually preheat anyway.  Gas burners can be adjusted with much more
precision. If you think it's too hot, you can eyeball the flame as you
turn the fire down.  I finally have become more proficient at using my
electric burners by always having a cooling rack nearby, and removing
the pot while the burner cools off (ie changing from boiling to
simmering).  Electric elements stay hot a lot longer than gas. I have
burned a few pans by returning them to the burner, empty, after I turned
it off.

BTW, you can remove the "black" from the bottom of a stainless steel pan
by smearing a paste of baking soda and water on the burned area.  Let it
sit for awhile, then scrub.  Repeat if necessary.

Liadan
Still chagrined over burning some of her pans