[Sca-cooks] Re: comparison shopping

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Dec 11 15:01:46 PST 2002

At 01:04 PM 12/11/02 -0500, you wrote:

>    They really ought to teach a (required) high school course in aggressive
>consumerism and media manipulation, or  'How Not To Be a Schmuck'. It's
>something that EVERYONE could benefit from, and would keep the retailers on
>their toes. And who knows . . .? Perhaps the process of critical thinking
>might be extended to things like social issues, politics, and How It All
>Works.

That's rather what I've done with the Girls- before a weekend event, I
would drag them out with me to do the shopping (usually Thursday night).
They learned a lot about planning, portions, and how to read labels! Also
taught them about things like false economies- 16 oz of something maybe
cheaper than the 12 oz in the per oz, but if you only need 8 oz, and are
short on space to boot, is it really better to get more than you need? IO
still remember all of us leaning over, looking at the prices and the 'price
by unit' stickers, and Kimi suddenly straightening up with an accusing look
(and gleam in her eye) saying "Hey! Is this one of those 'teaching
moments'?" Yup- sure was. Proud of it, too.

'Lainie
-a mom who teaches shopping skills , how to read the Voter's Pamphlet, and
how to do laundry. Clearly a subversive of some sort!