[Sca-cooks] spell checking

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 11 18:27:00 PST 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd commented:
>>I really thing that the most Gorgeous one knows how to spell in french,..it
>>is his first language;-)
>
> Yes, I know how to spell consomme, but...  One gets tired, one gets lazy,
> and accents are a bitch to make on my keyboard (I've never been able to
> remember any of the keystrokes to make them properly so usualy have to
> start MS Word, type whatever there with the accents, copy/paste back to
> email, so I usualy don't bother)

IMHO, I would prefer that folks NOT use accented characters or special
characters on this list. Many mail programs cannot handle them correctly.
Which means that even if I managed to re-convert them to the apporpriate
characters when things get saved to the Florilegium, many of my readers
would again get garbage instead of what was wanted.

For the same reasons, pasting a recipe directly into a message often

creates problems with special characters like the fraction symbols.
It is much better to write the recipe out as a text file first, and
then paste it into a message.

Yes, I know many of you will say you've never been bothered by this.

However, the less I have to edit and change these #$@^% special
characters, the more likely your message is to get saved for
posterity. :-) :-)
Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com