[Sca-cooks] Buying flour for bread

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Wed Dec 11 18:22:49 PST 2002

Lainie wrote:
> At 12:12 PM 12/11/02 -0800, you wrote:
>>Vitha wrote:
>>
>>>I am considering making the bread for my first feast in Atlantia.
>
> If this is your first feast, I would strongly encourage you to NOT make
> your own bread. You will have plenty to agonize over without adding
> something that can be done elsewise but can become a major hassle in and of
> itself. I suggest doing a couple of feasts with purchased bread, so you can
> get the rythym of feast cooking down- then consider if you want to add a
> couple of days baking on top of that.
>
> For the feast last weekend- Morwyn ordered the bread from a local grocery,
> and got a good deal. She'd nearly had to bodily restrain her apprentice
> from doing the baking, and it was a good thing he didn't. The feast was
> huge, formal, and ambitious. It was not Morwyn's first feast by any means.
> And she was SO GLAD they bought the bread!

I went to my local bakery the other day and explained to them what I
wanted (approximations of Elizabethan manchet and cheat loaves,
basically).  They said they'd do it to my specifications and they
offered me a really good price.  And I can pick it up on the day of the
feast.  Can't get much better than that.

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/