[Sca-cooks] Re:bakeries for custom breads and the 100 minutes headcount

Marilyn Hillvic hillvicus at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 12 23:40:04 PST 2002

> I went to my local bakery the other day and
> explained to them what I
> wanted (approximations of Elizabethan manchet and
> cheat loaves, basically).They said they'd do it to
my
> specifications and they offered me a really good
> price.

My Lady Katherine,
How fortunate you are to have a true local bakery! All
the bakeries around here in North Eastern New Jersey
are not 'local'. They are all large organizations who
only do large commercial orders for restaurants and
institutions.Although they offer superior products,
they laugh at you when you request a custom batch and
tell you to pick what you want for their stock menu
and pay for it up front. I am considering starting a
local cooking group in my shire because the next
closest group is far away (not in miles, but driving
time, about 2 hours to go 30 miles). I would consider
baking bread for a feast of 8 to 10 tables, but not
more. And that means pre-baking with the bread
re-warmed at feast time.
   And for those interested, the troll for 100
nminutes was 662 paying gentles and at least
non-paying children 5 and under. I'll ask if they
still have the children's release forms. It was quite
a dayboard. I'm still in awe that they consumed a
mini-van's load of food in 2 hours.
         --Marion