[Sca-cooks] Ziryab: Authentic Arab Cuisine

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 11 18:48:43 PST 2002

Miriam bas Levi wrote:
>I am fascinated by Middle Eastern cuisines, where might I obtain this book?

You must already have "Medieval Arab Cookery", by A.J. Arberry,
Maxime Rodinson, and Charles Perry, of course. Because that is, in my
opinion, worth far more than a book of food fiction.

It includes several completely translated surviving cookbooks, and a
multitude of essays, among them about the development of specific
Middle Eastern dishes, the influence of Medieval Middle Eastern food
on Medieval/Renaissance European food, and even an essay on the food
in the Thousand Nights and a Night.

Once i had this (and i do), which includes actual recipes from the
time "the Arabian Nights" was written, then i'd think about buying a
book of fiction about the food in "the Arabian Nights". This way i'd
have something to check the fiction book against...

Naturally this is only my opinion. And i'm certainly curious about
this new book...

Anahita