[Sca-cooks] non stick, was Pots 'n Pans,

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Thu Dec 12 06:44:21 PST 2002

just as a note.....
i am a bird owner, and Teflon based non stick gives off fumes that are
lethal to birds.  it *technically* has to be "overheated" to do this, but
their definition of "overheated" is something that i have DONE to my pots
and pans too often to count.

and no, i am not making it up.. lots of people have had their birds die
because they overheated one non stick pan in their house.

never give teflon non stick cookware to a bird owner unless you *know* they
want it.  i have had to smile politely and look gracious while accepting non
stick cookware that i *know* will be at Goodwill the next morning.

in addition there is some newish research that it gives off some nasty
chemicals at other times, but i dont know how verified that is.

there are plenty of other non stick including silicon  but i dont know much
about it.. after the Teflon mess i avoid non stick whenever i can.
Kirsten
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com

"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."