Fw: [Sca-cooks] Crusades and cannibalism

Ana Valdés agora at algonet.se
Thu Dec 12 08:22:46 PST 2002

Thanks a lot!! Actually my reflexion was why should we, "modern people" have
another sensibility than our parents and grandparents? I mean, why the passage
of cannibalism was expurged from modern editions but was included in the Pleyade
edition of Villehardouin? I know some of them of the people who actually ate
human flesh during a severe ordeal at the Andes, in Chile. Maybe some of you
remember the Hollywood movie based on their history, I think the title is
"Alive". The plane crashed and some of them died, others survived. The survivant
ate from the dead to keep themselves alive but it was a deep psychological wound
to explain to relatives and friends why they did it and what happened.
They were fellow landsman to me, Uruguayan, and they belonged to the country's
upperclass. Many of them were catholics and the church gave them absolution
because it was a kind of "comunion". It was a very traumatical thing for all
participating in it.
Ans