[Sca-cooks] Accidental french

Ana Valdés agora at algonet.se
Thu Dec 12 13:55:23 PST 2002

Thanks for your kind words, Huette! I had once a dear friend, she died
too soon, only 38 years old, she was a native English but spoke French
and Spanish as well and lived in Paris. She worked as a professional
translator for United Nations and met in her work many different people
speaking English in the most different ways. "It's funny, she used to
say to me, what you, non-English speakers, believe its English is only a
poor version of our language, including 300 words and mediated by MTV
and Disney. The difference between what people think its English and the
language of Milton and Shakespeare is enormous".
I agree with her, I think often the English we use as "lingua franca" is
a poor English, only related to instrumental and functional issues. I
wish I should be able to write so good English I could transmit all
shades and nuances I wish...
Ana