[Sca-cooks] ASL, was Russian (was Re: Accidental french) - OT

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Thu Dec 12 13:59:33 PST 2002

a lot of ASL users have not merely "ASL grammer" but bad grammer, owing to
their unfortunate tendancy to be poorly educated.
this is a problem with the deaf.. they are often shunted out of real
education, and even the good deaf schools often do not insist on good paper
writing skills.

my brother is a good example, i challenge anyone to understand a typical
email of his, or letter........ even though he is a highly educated and very
intelligent man.  if you dont speak ASL you havent a chance.. and even then
it will be tough.

my father, on the other hand.. went into college with hearing folks. and his
writing skills are extremely good.  i do NOT favor "mainstreaming" all deaf
students. most of them will never be able to keep up and you are condemning
them to a second rate education at best.. but i DO wish the deaf schools
held to higher standards of written english.

incidentally.. i learned to read early mostly due to the ease of translating
ASL to written. it was a visual=visual transition, instead of the usual
sound= visual that most english speakers have to go through.
Kirsten
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com

"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."