[Sca-cooks] Crusades and cannibalism

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Dec 12 15:57:55 PST 2002

> They were considered human. I would like to see the 'church decree' that
> you refer to, becasue I have plenty others that give clear instructions to
> attempt conversion- and you can only convert a human being. There were
> plenty of arguments over whether or not the Saracens had sould, and the
> conclusion was that yes, they did. They were damned, but they had them.

According to the hagiographiers of Queen St. Jadwiga, she had her husband,
Wladyslav Jagiello, were on one side of a church court argument with the
Teutonic Knights on the other side: the Teutonic Knights arguing that
killing pagans was a valid Crusading response in the North, while the
Polish-Lithuanian supported contingent argued for keeping the pagans alive
and converting them.

How true this is, of course, is open to great doubt. But I would not be
surprised if the 'kill all the pagans' ideology was in more repute in the
Northern Crusades than in the Crusades in the Holy Land.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Words can be your friend or your enemy, depending on who's
throwing the book, so watch your language." Stoppard