[Sca-cooks] Crusades and cannibalism

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Dec 12 15:39:29 PST 2002

At 06:03 PM 12/12/02 -0500, you wrote:

>...but its bad joss if we eat
>them if we're starving. Nah! don't buy that, first off remember the
>Crusaders by church decree never considered the other to be human
>soooooooooooo..........

Not anywhere as simple as that, and I think you know it.

They were considered human. I would like to see the 'church decree' that
you refer to, becasue I have plenty others that give clear instructions to
attempt conversion- and you can only convert a human being. There were
plenty of arguments over whether or not the Saracens had sould, and the
conclusion was that yes, they did. They were damned, but they had them.

Was re-reading _Chanson de Roland_ recently, and was interested to notice
that there were only two women of note in the poem- Roland's fiancee Aude
(who was introduced, told of Roland's death, and immediately died of
grief), and the wife of the Saracen prince (whose name escapes me at the
moment). She was captured, converted to Christianity, and was then held to
be of some worth. At least that is what the poet said.

'Lainie