[Sca-cooks] Accidental french

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri Dec 13 06:52:08 PST 2002

Yeah! What Huette said!
I've only had the opportunity to learn a little French and Latin (couple
of years of each in college, and I've since forgotten most of it,
although the oddest verb conjugations pop up in my memory sometimes!
<g>).
A number of years ago, I had the great pleasure to go to a reading given
by a Russian poet (Yvgeny Yevtshenko...my pardon if I misspelled that,
the books are at the other end of the house).  Not only was he a
completely amazing poet in any of the languages he used that night (I
remember Georgian, English, and Russian), but he was pretty darned
informative.
I remember either he or his translator telling us that in Russia there
were more teachers of English than there were Russian *speakers* in the
US.....
Made me feel more than a little bit culturally impoverished!
If I had time for learning languages, I'd like to pick up on my French
and Latin again, and maybe Salish (I think it'd be neat to learn a
language spoken by the people who lived here *first!*).
And Irish, I'd learn Irish.
And maybe Russian!
I am not exactly a "fluent" person, but languages and cultures and
peoples just *fascinate* me!
--maire