[Sca-cooks] OT: deaf and events

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at admin.is.cornell.edu
Fri Dec 13 07:58:53 PST 2002

>i wish more events were interpreted, even for those of us who dont need it,
>sign language can be so lovely to watch...

      Lovely indeed - I remember a Fred Small concert where the signing of the song about the 1000 paper cranes was simply gorgeous.  And they can be silly too.  There was a Waterson's gig at the Hudson River Folk Festival where one of the singers had to translate for the signer (they're from the north of England), who then had to try to figure out how to tell the story of the song at the same time, and being English folk songs, some interesting things happened.  How do you sign fol-do-diddle?  Or keep up with the various animals in a sort of house-that-Jack-built repetitive type of song?

Sandra