[Sca-cooks] OT: deaf and events

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Thu Dec 12 17:41:41 PST 2002

Darkover is a deaf friendly con (the main concert is even interpreted!)
Ecumenicon (Paganish) is fully interpreted.. all workshops have interpreters
available!

there are a few others that are interpreted.. and i know some SCA events
are...

i wish more events were interpreted, even for those of us who dont need it,
sign language can be so lovely to watch...
(i did sign dancing as a performance once.. and my mom was part of a signing
choir...)

it may not be strictly period.. but it is darned nice to look at! (of
course, varying "sign languages" were period.. for trade, etc.. so *some*
kind of signing is period, just not ASL)

of course, food is one of the few universal languages..
point... <questioning look?>
"Oh, sure! have some!!" <hands food>
<eats some... quizzical look> " ---unintelligable to me --"
"huh?"

followed by pantomimes as we finally figure out that she wants to know the
ingredients.. and a short demo in which i teach her the recipe....  we were
both in hysterical giggles by the end of it.. AND the kitchen was a mess.

She spoke some one of the African Languages, and French.. and my French was
waaaay rusty.. and i had made a small dish for the potluck at Dad's
Church.....  HER dad spoke English, but the adults were busy.....
funny, i hadnt thought of that in years....
it was an apple brown betty....
Kirsten
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com

"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."