[Sca-cooks] Light Feast Menu was: Buying flour for bread

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Dec 13 19:20:13 PST 2002

Also sprach kattratt:
>--
>Ooooh Hey Phlip sign me up for that recipe recieval as well...
>Hmmm let's see a garlic sauce Naw I wouldn't want that.....
>
>Ppppppllease?
>Nichola

 From MS Ashmole 1439:

Sauce gauncile.--Take floure and cowe mylke, safroune wel y-grounde,
garleke, peper, salt [added in MS] (Note: added in different ink.)
and put in-to a faire litel pot; and se(th)e it ouer (th)e fire, and
serue it forthe with the goos [added in MS]

 From my note to Phlip, again:

At 5:58 PM -0500 12/11/02, Phlip wrote:
>  >we used about 2 ounces / a half cup of flour to a
>  >quart of milk; the recipe doesn't call for butter, but we cheated at
>>12th Night and made a roux with two ounces of butter, melted and
>>very briefly heated with the flour, per a quart of milk. About 1/2
>>teaspoon saffron crumbled in for color (after all, gauncile means
>>yellow, more or less), and as much whole garlic cloves as you want,
>>at least a head or two per quart. (We used a gallon jar of peeled
>>cloves; about 3/4 of it went into the sauce.) At 12th Night, we were
>>only able to simmer the sauce for about 20 minutes, so the garlic
>>wasn't quite soft enough, so I strained about 3/4 of it out and
>>pureed it, then returned it to the pot.
>>
>>Salt is a good addition... ;-)

Essentially, a white sauce made with milk and flour, with saffron for
color, salt, and plenty of garlic added. There are very few
flour-thickened sauces known in the Anglo-Norman recipe corpus; I
thought this one was both deceptively simple, interesting, and
tasty...

Adamantius