[Sca-cooks] A new book

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 14 16:43:05 PST 2002

Ana commented:
> By the way and relating again to the discussion about cannibalism, I came across
> yesterday a very interesting book, "In the Devil's Garden, a sinful history of
> forbidden food", written by Stewart Lee Allen. Very interesting book with a lot
> of historical material about haggish, horse meat, ritual cannibalism and other
> cultural stuff. Anyone who knows the book?

Do you mean haggis? The stuffed sheep's stomach/sausage?
Here are a few files on subjects related to those you mentioned above:

haggis-msg        (94K) 10/25/01    Scottish haggis recipes. comments on haggis.
horse-recipes-msg (24K) 12/14/01    Period horse recipes. References.

Although not all haggis contains meat, these are both in the FOOD-MEATS
section.

So far, all of the period horse meat recipes I've seen are from western
Asia. It doesn't look like the Europeans ate horseflexh, at least
intentionally.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com