[Sca-cooks] nostalgia-OT OOP (with recipe)

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sun Dec 15 02:34:33 PST 2002

>OK, guys. I know there are others out there who remember buying 1#
>loaves of doughy white bread @ 12 for $1?

I remember bread 12 for a dollar, but only on sale.  I dont remember
how much movies cost, but I can only remember going twice.  With five
children we never went anywhere that cost money.   It wasnt easy
keeping a middle class lifestyle for so many children on a school
principal's salary.  I never went to a circus until I took my son. I
remember when candy bars stopped costing a nickel and started costing
a dime.  We each got one glass of soda on Friday night and otherwise
only if we had the flu.  Eating out was a very occasional treat, but
I remember icy mugs of root beer served on a try that hooked to the
car window.

I remember Alan Shepard taking off because the school didnt have any
TVs and all the kids in my class came to my house to watch.  I
remember when JFK died, I was ironing, a chore that I hated. (I own
an iron now, but never iron except when I'm sewing).  Nearly all of
my high school pictures I am wearing clothes that I made myself.

Every spring we would pick gallons of strawberries and freeze them,
the best part was strawberry freezer jam still frozen.  Or Schaum
torte with ice cream and strawberries.  Mom would buy cling peaches
by the case and can them. We had apple trees and froze applesauce. I
remember visiting on my uncle's farm and eating fresh raw peas from
the pod until we were sick.

When we went to Grandma's house, the highlight for kids was the
canned fruit cocktail, and we would fight to see who got the
cherries.  We would drive to grandpa's house when asparagus was in
season, he had a hedge maybe 200 feet long and 10 feet wide, and sold
it.  He also grew 2 acres of gladiolus and was called the "Glad Man"
long before the commercial.  He used thick rubber rings cut from
bicycle tires to bundle them, and we'd liberate some and shoot them
at each other.

I remember learning to cook with my cousin, and making concoctions
from the Betty Crocker cookbook for Boys and Girls.  The farm had 3
or 4 men to feed including hired hands and there was dessert with
every meal including breakfast.  We would make cakes and pies and
cookies every day.  One of our favorites was Hot Fudge Pudding.
(Yes, I still have the cookbook and no spoon teasing, the recipe is
below).

Ranvaig

Hot Fudge Pudding
from Betty Crocker Cookbook for Boys and Girls.
	Mix in bowl:
1 c. flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c sugar
2 T  cocoa
	Stir in:
1/2 c milk
2 T. oil
1 c. chopped nuts
	Spread batter in an 8" pan.
	Mix in small bowl and sprinkle over batter:
1 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
	Pour over all :
1 3/4 c. boiling water
	Bake at 350 for 45 min,

Serve warm or cold with rich milk or cream.  (I usually eat it hot
with ice cream)
It makes a rich-tasting chocolate cake with a thick chocolate sauce
on the bottom.