[Sca-cooks] nostalgia-OT OOP

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Dec 16 13:47:48 PST 2002

> YES!! I remember my dad grumbling that when his favorite 'gourmet'
> Hillbilly bread got to a quarter a loaf we'd have to start making our own
> at home.  Just TRY to find any of that fancy schmancy stuff for under $2.

The discount grocery (food4less) by me sells baked-that-day vienna loaves
for 78 cents, rye for $1.29. I think the 'Valley Farm Market' (not really
a farm market but good produce if you don't mind some of it being
shrinkwrapped) sells their bread for $1.29 to $1.79, made on site, lots of
different flavors. There's also a bakery that delivers to a lot of local
groceries that does fresh-baked bread for under $2.

But I can remember when the discount store had fluffy white bread for 4/$1
and boxed mac & cheese was 10/$10; ground turkey (yuck!) was 39 cents a
pound. Most of all, kids books were $1-$2 apiece new. [The next time you
see the READ poster that says, 'Get your kids hooked on something that
costs 35 cents an ounce, do the math and laugh hysterically.]

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Words can be your friend or your enemy, depending on who's
throwing the book, so watch your language." Stoppard