[Sca-cooks] Period Junk food

Nicholas S. Malone Nix at iolinc.net
Sun Dec 15 05:43:18 PST 2002

Well I just might be a good cook some day! Having a Star from MdF, 3
Golds from Juried reviews, a few dozen feasts and for 2 year being an
instructor at the Greenbrier. I have presented 12 sessions at the ACF
food show, been published a few times (commercially and judged Juried
reviews for several organizations. I love to cook but computer security
pays much better and I had to do the responsible thing once I had kids
to support.  The Florigeum is an OK starting point if the poster happens
to mention the source and a translation I can trust or if I know a
translator for the language. To be completely honest it is only one step
, Like asking on a general list. I have also run this thread on the BL
and Rarch lists and have been getting ready for about 8 months. I was
just waiting for an event and invite to cook from a group that might not
mind the flack.
	For instance, the Hot pockets idea is taken from a 1520's manuscript
(English) that preports to be a collection of writings from as early as
1300. Some evidence looks valid and some seems to be literary license.
The writings are collections of letters and reports from Gamekeepers and
wardens in English parks, estates, crown land etc. One story does
mention Loaves that were stuffed with beef, cheeses, and varied other
stuffs. It was wrapped and placed in a satchel under outer garments and
by the time it was eaten had been pressed flat.  From there I have no
problem doing a stuffed loaf that is filled and pressed and toasted
before serving. The letter does mention warming the food and drink by a
fire.
	The corn dogs I am extrapolating from a wrapped dumpling recipe made
with sausage balls or ground pork balls. Similar to perogies or petroki.
I will do them fried and make them longer to get the modern appearance
for the fun of it. The nuggets have flour and egg in the binding and
should be enough to get the look when fried, I will leave out reforming
around the bone. Or they could also be taken from Russian fried
meatballs or sausage patties although several newly translated
Yemen/Saudi almanacs describe the same technique with lamb, goat, camel
or beef. It is not too much of a stretch to do it in chicken. The HOHO's
are more of a stretch but I am using a commercial brand name for a
filled cake roll.  I was hoping to get some better ideas for desserts
here, since sugar seems to be a draw for some scadians. Right now I am
working them as simple cake rolls and filled with either a thickens
sweet almond milk or a heavy creme frese with cherries.  But I really
want to do better than that and make them look better too.

I have gotten a few good leads here and hope to keep doing so, but it
seems the sport fishing aspect of this  project has already hooked more
than a few. I had no idea there were so many serious references to the
cook's attitude too. It seems more than a few people are really wound up
in making sure I have the proper demeanor and mindset to make the recipe
or translations or redactions work right, hmmmm. Who knew I had so far
to go?
Thanks for all the references I have gotten off list, seems several
people want to help and avoid the nagging, Its ok, I collect nags so I
only post openly. Its part of being a legend of rude!

AshaHito