[Sca-cooks] Fw: Response to Crusades and cannibalism

Ciorstan ciorstan at attbi.com
Sun Dec 15 05:47:52 PST 2002

Kirsten Houseknecht writes:

> there is also ancestor eating.. in which you are trying to keep the
> magic of your family.. in the family! and to tie it back into other
> topics... it is one primary reason for the spread of the human varient
> of mad cow disease.. it was transmitted by cannibilism in some cultures.
> this is why when the disease started showing up in people in England it
> was a bit *shocking* as i believe it was previously mostly found in New
> Guinea????

I believe the reason mad cow disease is/was considered so frightening
when it showed up in Great Britain is that it indicated that a disease
found in sheep (scrapie) had crossed over into cows and was now
affecting humans.

The US has been complacent with respect to 'mad cow disease' for some
time. It _is_ on this continent (though not in our beef stocks), it's
present in sheep and unhappily found in the wild-- elk and deer, if I
recall correctly.

And cannabalism in the American Southwest:

http://www.athenapub.com/8mancorn.htm
     wherein the theory was proposed
http://www.catherinedold.com/f%20cannibals.htm
     where the 'smoking gun' was found...
http://www.beachbrowser.com/Archives/Science-and-Health/October-2000/Evidence-Ancient-Cannibalism.htm
     and the smoking gun was confirmed by analysis.
http://www.prestonchild.com/thunder/thunder_cannib.htm

ciorstan