[Sca-cooks] Re: OT, OOP - ages

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 15 08:36:33 PST 2002

Greetings.  When I was a child, supermarkets hadn't yet been
invented.  Milk was delivered by the milkman (in a truck, not by a
horse-drawn vehicle!) and on cold mornings, the frozen cream would
pop off the cardboard cap and stand an inch above the top of the
glass bottle.  My brother and I would get to spoon out the frozen
cream and eat it right there.  The grocery store held only
groceries, no meats.  You went to the butcher shop for that.
Television, while invented (I think) was not a part of anyone's
home.  I recall my mother turning off all the lights of the house,
closing the drapes in the windows and covering the radio so that the
glow from the vacuum tubes wouldn't be seen from the street as our
town went through an air raid practice during WW II.  No malls, no
microwave, no frozen foods.  But, oh!  The delicious odor of canning
tomatoes in the fall and the mouth-watering taste of hot, fresh
tomato juice before it is put into the glass bottles!  And visiting
a local parishioner's farm, getting to scoop up the foam from a
bucket of newly-squirted milk still warm from the cow!

Alys Katharine