[Sca-cooks] horsemeat

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 15 21:33:56 PST 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd replied to me with:
>>Yes, the French do currently eat horsemeat. But did they in medieval
>
> I believe it is more common in Belgium than in France, actually.
>
> I personally really enjoy horsemeat.  It is leaner than beef, contrary to
> popular belief not any tougher, and the taste, while different, is not that
> strong.

I guess I wasn't very clear on this point. I know that horsemeat is
likely to be a leaner meat. When talking about being tougher, I was
really thinking about horsemeat that might have been eaten by the
non-nobles. While the nobles might not have eaten horsemeat because
of what the horse represented to them, the peasant may well have
welcomed it. But the horses would probably have not been raised for
meat, being horses that had died after being used for transportation
or pulling plows. And as such, likely to have been fairly tough.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com