[Sca-cooks] Re:nostalgia-OT OOP

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 16 04:00:14 PST 2002

Dear Olaf!
I, too, grew up in Columbus, Ga.  But I'm a year or two older than you.  I left at age 14, the year before JFK was killed.
Mordonna
 Sudden Service #5 <sudnserv5 at netway.com> wrote:Well I may be a Grandpa, but there are some things I am not old enough
to remember. Driveby shootings started in the '20s during Prohibition,
Gangs started even earlier & were just as violent then as now-just not as
well armed. However, I do remember $.05 cokes & getting $.02 deposit back
for the bottles. I remember $.15 loves of bread & going to the movies on
Base for $.25, buying cigarettes for Dad at the store for $5/carton. I
remember the having signs that said "Colored" explained to me. The year I
got a microscope for Christmas instead of the telescope I wanted so I could
watch the Mercury 7 spacecrafts orbit the Earth. When the guy who raised &
sold vegetables used to come through Nashville in a horse & wagon. I
remember getting the first copy of Spiderman & when McDonalds came to
Columbus, GA (we had KFC & Krystals already). I was the first kid in the
neighborhood to get a skateboard. I remember the Beetles coming to America
& watching "Gorgeous George" & the Fargo Brothers wrestling on TV. I
remember the Cuban Missile crisis, Ft. Benning was rumored to be one of the
targets. I remember skate keys & when they sold street skates that fitted on
your shoes. Playing in my Zorro (it was my first sword) & Daniel Boon
outfits. I was sitting on the concrete around the base of the flag pole when
I asked the Principle came out & I asked her why she was crying, she said
"they shot Kennedy". I was in a Cub Scout meeting when they came to get the
assistant Den Mother-there was a notification team waiting to tell her that
her husband was one of the first advisors killed in Viet Nam. I remember
reading an Army Training manual on how to survive a Nuke attack. I nearly
got trampled when Johnson visited Ft Benning, the day he made the speech
where he quoted a GI who wrote to him on the C-rats box. I built a model of
a bomb shelter for a school science project. I was a freshman in High
School in Kaiserslautern Germany when the Soviets invaded Czechoslovakia in
'69. They integrated the GA school system when I was in 10th grade. I
voted for Nixon in my first election, because I believed him when he said he
would end the War. I turned 18 the year they changed the drinking age in GA
& the County became wet. They ended the Draft the year I was eligible. I
was at Boot Camp when 7 of the Aldays, some neighbors from down the road
were killed & the fall of Saigon. I was in the Control Room of the USS
Finback SSN 670 when Cat Futch danced topless on the port fairwater plane
leaving Port Canaveral. I was on a Northern Run when Carter made the
campaign promise to legalize Pot. I was working for Satellite Business
Systems when Ma' Bell was broken up & the Iranians took hostages. I was in
St. Louis when Regan was shot. I was at lunch when the Challenger exploded.
I remember playing 99 records & 33 1/3's. I remember playing "Pong" for
the first time the year my oldest daughter was born.
Pax,
Olaf of Trollhiemsfjord