[Sca-cooks] nostalgia-OT OOP (with recipe)

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Dec 16 10:54:45 PST 2002

> Oh boy... I had that cook book too! Wish I still had it- not that the food
> was that good, but the book was fascinating. Do you remember the Rocket
> Salad with the banana? Or the cottage cheese thign with a silly face on it?
> Of the mice made of pear halves with cinnamom candies for eyes and licorice
> tails? Or the bunny cake with tinted coconut frosting?...

My family uncomplainingly ate the salads but blanched at the Tuna Fish
Cracker Crumb pie.

(My uncle got me the cookbook and started teaching me to cook from recipes
to make me feel better when my younger sibs and cousins were born. An act
of unmediated charity for which I and my family are suitably grateful--
before that population explosion I had been an only child and only
grandchild. I was quite surly about things for a bit.)

There was another cookbook, Kids Cooking, which I worked my way through. I
found a copy in a used bookstore and am saving it for one of my
fosternieces. :)

Anyway, it all came in handy when I was a teen in a one-parent household
and did all the cooking-- even if it was mostly 'follow the directions on
the box/bag'.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Words can be your friend or your enemy, depending on who's
throwing the book, so watch your language." Stoppard