[Sca-cooks] Learning to drink- was Re: Fries and fried meat.

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Dec 16 16:38:46 PST 2002

At 06:09 PM 12/16/02 -0600, you wrote:
>My parents started me on half a glass of wine with dinner when I was 6!  Of
>course they started off mixing it with equal amounts of 7up for the first few
>years and I quite enjoyed it. It's probably healthier than slugging down a
liter
>of Coke every day ;). They tried me on beer too, but I could't stand it,
even to
>this day!

Our family tradition has been that you are allowed a glass of wine or
champagne at holiday dinners when you are 16. That way you get to check it
out in a safe, controlled environmet, and there isn't so much of the
'forbidden thrill' that makes it taste good even when it doesn't. Mr Picky
had a glass of wine at Thanksgiving (he's 16 now) and he wasn't impressed.
Fine with me! Annie rather likes it. At the very least I figure if we drink
responsibly at home and they learn good attitudes about alcohol, they'll be
less likely to abuse it later.

'Lainie
-sometimes this 'responsible parenting ' bit is not easy...