[Sca-cooks] Learning to drink- was Re: Fries and fried meat.

Randall Cook of Northpass goldberg at bestweb.net
Mon Dec 16 16:55:43 PST 2002

> >My parents started me on half a glass of wine with dinner when I was 6!
Of
> >course they started off mixing it with equal amounts of 7up for the first
few
> >years and I quite enjoyed it. It's probably healthier than slugging down
> liter
> >of Coke every day ;). They tried me on beer too, but I could't stand it,
> even to
> >this day!
>
> Our family tradition has been that you are allowed a glass of wine or
> champagne at holiday dinners when you are 16. That way you get to check it
> out in a safe, controlled environmet, and there isn't so much of the
> 'forbidden thrill' that makes it taste good even when it doesn't. Mr Picky
> had a glass of wine at Thanksgiving (he's 16 now) and he wasn't impressed.
> Fine with me! Annie rather likes it. At the very least I figure if we
drink
> responsibly at home and they learn good attitudes about alcohol, they'll
be
> less likely to abuse it later.

My grandfather refused to allow grape juice at his Passover table, so we
started on wine for Passover from the tiniest age. Of course, the
extra-heavy Schapiro's Malaga he used was the next best thing to grape juice
anyway. We started as littl'uns mixing it with seltzer - to this day, my
sister and I look forward to a glass of wine-and-seltzer instead of soda
with the main meal during the Seder.

It is theorized that the ritualization and early introduction of wine in
Jewish families contributes to the paucity of alcoholics among Jews - kids
find out about wine early in life, so it holds no mystique.

Randy

Randall Cook of Northpass (soon to be "of Sudentur")
     (formerly Avraham haRofeh)
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
RandomTag: Reality: Crutch for people who can't read science fiction

---