[Sca-cooks] Re:bakeries for custom breads

Marilyn Hillvic hillvicus at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 16 17:41:21 PST 2002

> Ah, but in New Jersey, I swear people pride
> themselves on being horribly
> rude and unhelpful. So that's not terribly
> surprising. And the NE corner
> is NYC metro, so that makes the rude and unhelpful
> doubly so.
Margaret,
  OOOHHHH-OWWWWCCHHHH. Well, it's sort of true. The
local businesses don't really mean to be rude and
unhelpful, but their company's policies to make an
economic go of it make them so. The managers don't own
the stores or even have much say in its policy. They
have to do what the big boss says and the big boss
goes by the company policy of keeping to items that
will make the most money. Sigh. Well, the issue is
just no local artisan bakers here that I know of.It's
hard to make a living baking bread where the median
house price is $450,000. The artisan loaves that sell
in the gourmet stores come from small bakeries in
Brooklyn and the loaves sell for $4 each. So I'll
continue to see if some of the local grocery stores
are willing to do a custom batch for me next time
around. But the bottom line is their time is their
money and the event is the Saturday before
Thanksgiving. The time they spend making my small
batch of 25 custom parsley loaves is time they can be
making their large customer orders where they bake by
the 1000's of loaves. Even the local Panera is 'we
don't do custom, but please choose from our stock of
available loaves'). The bakery we had in town closed
several years ago when the owners retired. So time to
try that rustic recipe bread.
  And really, we who live in Northern NJ aren't all
bad....honest. We wave in a most friendly and helpful
manner as we drive over the back of your car at 75 MPH
in the right hand lane of Route 17 North.... :-)
        --Marion