[Sca-cooks] Cooks Conference in Detroit

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Dec 16 20:15:47 PST 2002

The book is:
A Proper Newe Booke of Cokerye. Margaret Parker's Cookery Book. Edited
by Anne Ahmed. Cambridge, U.K.:  Corpus Christi College, 2002.
Hardcover. [112 pp.] ISBN: 0-9504261-3-X. [A Facsimile by John Cleaver
of the undated complete text of the Corpus Christi copy of A Proper Newe
Booke of Cokerye with an interpretation by Anne Ahmed, pp. 23-81.
Preface,  Acknowledgements, and Introduction by the editor Anne Ahmed,
pp. xi-xiii and pp.1-22. Also includes a Foreword by Christopher de
Hamel, pp. vii-x; Recipes (adapted from the text), pp. 83-97.
Bibliography, pp. 98. Original Illustrations by Chihiro Mizuta; numerous
other illustrations.]

Review by Johnna H. Holloway

In celebration of the 650th anniversary of the founding of Cambridge
University's Corpus Christi College, a glorious new facsimile text of A
Proper Newe Booke of Cokerye is now available. The Corpus Christi copy
is the only surviving one of the undated edition of circa 1557-58. While
this new facsimile owes and acknowledges a debt to Catherine Frere's
edition of 1913, this book has employed state of the art high resolution
digital processing for the facsimile pages. In order to facilitate the
digitalization, the actual book was removed from its binding and each
page was digitized flat. As one might guess, this is not the way that
most works are scanned or handled. This has resulted in the best
possible image available; it also means that this work serves as an
example as to what can be achieved in facsimile reproduction in the 21st
century. snipped

My full review appears in the latest issue of Serve it Forth and will
appear elsewhere soon in another publication. Guess where, folks???

You can buy copies from MEM until she runs out and then from
 BCP Booksales at www.bpccam.co.uk. Or from Heffers in Cambridge.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway